View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Although nobody asked, for an NPHC-oriented opinion.....

I'm of the mindset that numbers=success among NPHC fraternities. (Not really for sororities, though)

I know of one fraternity on my undergrad campus that went from no members to about 20 members over the course of a few years. During the same period, one fraternity which consistently had about one member dropped off to none, though they're coming back.

I don't think, in the case of this fraternity, they take everyone. I think they had some real hard workers who made the effort to be enthusiastic about their fraternity, wear letters frequently, cultivated positive relationships with sorority women and independent women, and oh yes, they could step their asses off. Along with all this, they had strong alumni support (both recent and older, including a local news personality) which has recently translated into a foundation being established for the chapter.

In terms of programming and service...well, since i'm in a frat, I don't really notice what they do. But I assume that because of the numbers, their programming and service is as tight as their brotherhood.

The key, for NPHC orgs, is to not sit back and assume that the interest will come to you. That's a trap that many of our orgs fall into. You have to actively cultivate brotherhood and goodwill among all men. Be a brother to get a brother.