View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

So bid day finally arrived and we had to wait until late in the afternoon to get our bids. Waiting until 4:30 or 5 was so hard to do. My suitemate and I decided we’d walk over together to the university union where we were to pick up our bids. On the way over, girls were talking about how they were so glad they didn’t get a call from their Rho Chi and knew for sure they had a bid. I wasn’t even remotely thinking about a mismatch. I had not received a call, but I didn’t even think about it.

As we walk over, we pass the women’s quad where all of the sororities have gathered to wait for the pledges to run over. I hear the Jupiter’s singing, that’s when it hits me – I really want Jupiter so badly now. I had no doubts before, but now I tell my suitemate that if I don’t get Jupiter I’m going to just die. This is the moment I am so dying to see Jupiter on that bid card!

So we go into the large ballroom and all of the Rho Chi’s are standing on chairs and waiting for us to find them. I am searching and searching and can’t find mine. My suitemate has already found her Rho Chi and has seen her bid – she wants to tell me but I ask her to wait until I find my Rho Chi.

During the week, we all had to guess what our Rho Chi was. Mine was so laid back and unpretentious I guessed Jupiter and I was hoping that she was a Jupiter for obvious reasons! So here I am looking and looking and can’t find her – when I do find her she is wearing a Venus jersey! While I was so surprised, she sees me and says with a huge smile on her face “Martha, you are going to be so happy!”. She was so excited for me and knew just what I wanted!

So I get my card and rip open the envelope and inside it says that I got:

JUPITER!!!

Also known as Kappa Kappa Gamma!!!!!!!

My suitemate then tells me she is a Kappa pledge too!! So we both go over to the quad together and join the Kappas for bid day!! While I’m on the quad celebrating, I see my friend Stacy with the Mars girls (also known as Alpha Chi Omega) and felt kind of bad. I did feel a small twang of regret because I did like the girls I met there. However, I knew I had made the best decision for me and I never looked back. I also saw the other girls on my hall during Bid Day on the quad and both are Earth's and are new pledge sisters.

The next day I got a call from my AChiO alum friend and she said she and Stacy and Leigh were wondering where I went. She was happy for me and I told her how much I did like AChiO, but in the end I needed to go where my heart was. I would have been happy of course if I was an AChiO without a doubt if that’s how it worked out.

The first week after pledging my heart sister decorated my dorm room door. I was the first one with a decorated door on my hall. I also got a lovely card and decorated cup with Kappa stuff from my Rho Chi. She said she knew I was disappointed she was not a Kappa, but she encouraged me to make Kappa the very best. Kris was a great Rho Chi – I was so lucky! I knew if I had tried to drop out after the spilled drink on myself she would have encouraged me to stay in. I have given the advice she gave me during rush to other girls who have gone through. What questions to ask, how to show enthusiasm for the chapter, what to say during the party to let the members know you are interested.

So my rush story had a very happy ending and I have been so happy that I am a Kappa Kappa Gamma ever since!