View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A Schuyler sister COB story

I have decided to code the three sororities at my school as:

Angelica
Peggy
Eliza
Eliza is a local sorority, where Peggy and Angelica are both NPC. (Yes, the names are inspired by Hamilton!)

So, I have read many stories on Greek-Chat and since I am going through COB I have decided to post mine! I have never gone through formal recruitment as once upon a time I believed in the ridiculous notion of the ‘stereotypical’ sorority. I go to a Southern school where Greek life is huge, and very actively involved in every aspect of campus. I never would describe myself as a ‘typical sorority girl’ (Now I know there is no such thing) so I was going through COB rush the same time I was interested in the local sorority, Eliza.
Eliza had a system in place where they had 2 open nights, where anyone who was interested could show up and get a chance to talk to all the girls in the sorority. While Eliza wasn’t NPC they are still very respected on my campus, and over 300 girls showed up to rush for roughly 50-60 slots. I was very nervous but still on the fence about being Greek and was worried about not fitting in. (After reading GC I am sad to note that I had not a single recommendation for either COB or the local sorority, I didn’t know any better at the time.) After the two open nights, Eliza would than have philanthropy night, invite only night(similar to pref night I suppose) and finally bid day.

Peggy and Angelica both reached out to me to see if I was interested in COB rush. My friend who had gone through formal recruitment is a Peggy so she may have recommended me, but I have no idea how Angelica had found me. My school has over 15 NPC sororities but those are the only 2 that reached out me. I heard tent talk that only sororities considered ‘bottom tier’ held COB but I didn’t pay any attention to it. I had two sororities that had invited me out to meet them and I was beyond excited. Slowly my opinion on going Greek was changing.

Eliza-
1st night, Since this was a local sorority they did not have a house, but their intro nights were held in the ballrooms in the stadium at my university. When I first walked in I was impressed. They had taken all the chairs out of the ballroom and had covered the floor in different colored autumn leaves (Which I later saw were fake but very very pretty.) Their theme was really cute and I met a lot of new members. I was excited to get to know everyone and it was really informal. Everyone was in jeans and nice tops and there was a lot of milling around just talking. At one point it did feel like I was having the same conversation over and over again. Major, year, GPA. The same questions were asked again and again and even when I tried to change the subject they kept going back to the main topic points. Another thing that made me feel awkward was the slight bashing of the NPC sororities at my university. Eliza had their rush week right after formal recruitment so I could see where some girls who were cut may have felt OK with this. As I was still planning on going to COB these types of conversations made me feel a tad awkward. But overall I had fun, and I could see myself being an Eliza.

Eliza: Night 2- I entered night 2 very excited and left the stadium a bit disappointed. Unlike the laid back talking that had occurred yesterday, today I was double rushed with another PNM. Worse, the recruiter they had talking to us already knew the PNM I was double-rushing with and seemed to spend the entire time turning the conversation to her. I tried to input a few times, but I felt like no-one was listening. I was never bumped and at the end when we were released I felt like I hadn't made a single impression.

Day 3: I woke up this morning SO HAPPY and SO SURPRISED to get an email from Eliza saying I was invited back for their philanthropy round. This round was more dressy, I wore a cute purple velvet romper with bell sleeves, and full hair and makeup. I was relieved to find that I had dressed perfectly as all the active sisters were in dark clothes like mine. I spoke to at least 3 different members on their executive team (they were wearing autumn leave wreaths to match the theme) and left with such a good feeling that I was going to end up an Eliza. . What really sold me was their philanthropy, it was a cause that connected closely with my heart and I was sold.

Unfortunately, we do not know if we will be invited back for interview night until the next weekend as I had class the next day. Next weekend COB was also starting for Angelica and Peggy and I couldn't wait!