View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

This is partly why I'm asking for the mock range

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
I like the new release figures system as it is used at UGA. It has worked on our campus. No, not every house is making quota, but many more are than have in the past. I honestly think that with a few more years of using this system that all of our houses will be consistantly making quota.

The main reason that I like this system has nothing to do with quota, party size, or release figures. This fall I was a recruitment counselor and I know that this system helped us to place many girls. Before, houses could continue to invite PNMs to parties so that they would have high return rates, or for whatever reason, and then release them before prefs. Girls would be devistated that they were released from their favorite houses and withdraw from recruitment. If larger houses have to cut up to 70% of PNMs after round 1, it gives the PNMs a realistic view of recruitment. It is easier to convince them to give houses that weren't their number one a second chance after round one than after they have just been dropped from their favorite house right before prefs. I hope that makes sense...
I think it's a great system. I don't know that the numbers will ever work so perfectly so every group makes quota every year, but I think it's helping.

(I'm afraid that girls dropping out after quota is set will always make it hard for it to be perfect, but it will be greatly improved. Everyone will be a lot closer to quota even if they don't have it on bid day.)

I went to Georgia back in the 1990s, and I know that you are completely right about the old days.

I'm still confused about one aspect, though, and this is why I was hoping that we could get walked through a mock release figure rush.

I don't see how a group can cut 70% of the PNMs and still have 12 full parties the next day. I thought everyone got to invite at least estimated quota back to each event at each round, and that your previous return rates determined how much over that you could go.

So let's pretend at UGA during second round, 1000 girls were still in rush, and some groups had to cut 70% of them. That would leave only 300 girls to fill 12 second round parties. Do these groups have 25 girl parties?

I absolutely know that there are groups at UGA that if they only got to pref quota, could probably still have everyone they preffed want bids from them.

But I just don't see how the numbers work through all four rounds.

Anyone?

Last edited by UGAalum94; 10-11-2006 at 07:19 PM.