View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondtimerush View Post
Hi all,

I am transfer student to a smaller University and am starting my Senior year. I am here for some seriously honest words.

Last semester I decided to go through recruitment. I was COMPLETELY unprepared. I showed up to tabling right before having to sprint to class looking like a total mess. I did not make many friends during the info night but I went into the formal recruitment anyways. I loved my Rhos, my group of PNMs all got along, but after the first day all the chapters cut me.

Now, although I was heartbroken at the time, this is not a post about "what did I do wrong?"

1. I had a low GPA at a 2.39. Although this was due to mistakes far in my past, it meant I didn't meet the GPA requirement.
2. When I reflected on my appearance later, I looked like a MESS! I wore ratty old converse instead of my cute sandals for comfort, I wore a tank top that was not flattering, and I wore jeans that weren't great. Although my hair was fine, my makeup was a bit too heavy handed, and I had made the choice not to get my nails done. Yikes.
3. I sounded super boring. When asked about my summer I think I either said I didn't really do much or talked about my vacation with my boyfriend. During the whirl wind I forgot I had gone to the lake and done paddleboard yoga and that I had gone hiking all over the place. I also didn't expand on a lot of my answers and rarely asked my own questions.
4. Lastly I brought up my GPA and was not sure why I really wanted to be in a particular sorority.

So, after picking myself up and thinking about this all I made changes. I found my reason for wanting to be in my top three sororities. I practiced my small talk.I overhauled my wardrobe and got out of my funk. I boosted my GPA to a 2.58. I met around 8 or 9 sisters in my classes and became decent acquaintances with them.

My questions are:
1. Should I rush?
2. For informal recruitment, how do you decide which sorority to go to? Or can you skip some of the events to attend another sororities?
3. If during tabling I accidentally mentioned I had rushed in Formal but didn't say how it ended or if it was bad or any specifics, but then heard the girls say my name and mention that I said that, is that bad?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks all and sorry for writing so much!

QFP