View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

advice for a student

Hi all,

I'm an academic services professional staff member at a public university in the Northeast. We've got a small but growing number of sororities and fraternities, and quite a few of my students are involved in Greek life. I, however, went to a very small liberal arts college with no Greek life, and so it's, well, a mystery to me. I've been lurking here for a little while to get a better sense of Greek life as a whole. (So please bear with me if my terminology is sometimes wrong - I keep stopping my students and making them define terms for me.)

In any case! I have a student who is an NPC sorority, and recently she's been talking to me about dropping out - disaffiliating? I'm getting the correct term? She feels left out, ignored and belittled by her big, and disrespected as a whole. She's also regretting not joining a multicultural sorority instead (as she's Latina). We've talked a bit a bit about how it's supposed to be a lifelong thing, and a commitment, but I think she just feels overly frustrated at this point. She keeps saying that part of her doesn't want to quit, but she feels out of place.

I suggested that she talk to the leadership in her sorority, and maybe the Greek Life staff member in the Dean's office. But she does come and talk to me a lot, so I was wondering if there's any advice any of you might have for her -- and me, as I'd like to help her navigate this situation.