Thread: How Common Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I think it is more common than it used to be, but still very difficult. It also seems to depend on who you know among the upper echelon of officers.

Frankly, I don't know why anybody would want to. It's a wholly different experience.

I know of one woman my alumnae chapter nominated; she had gone to a military academy and did not have the opportunity to join in college, but was (is, I presume) good friends with many in the chapter. I know there were plans to initiate her, but I never saw her again after she was introduced at a meeting.

I do know of one woman, a nationally known figure, who contacted DG about joining because she is particularly interested in our Service for Sight philanthropic efforts. She contacted Executive Offices, they contacted well-known women in our chapter (this was my previous alumnae chapter), those women spent several months getting to know her and agreed to perform her "pledge education". A Texan, she was initiated at convention in 2002.

When I was a collegiate, I recall the requirements included not having had the opportunity to join a GLO while in college. I don't know for sure, and didn't find current requirements using a cursory search.