View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Because there are only 4 of them. No NPC sorority is going to use 4 women as the main basis for a new chapter. What you're proposing is like saying that if you had a pledge class of ten women and 3 of them were biological triplets, that part of the pledge class's education would be learning about the triplets' family history, their aunts and uncles, going to family dinners, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
This. For it to truly be an absorption, you'd have to have an actual functioning chapter for an NPC to come in and take over. Right now, you basically are proposing that random NPC comes in and puts in the work to start a colony from scratch but has to use your local history because you happened to be on campus first and want to preserve that history? It doesn't work that way. Your alumnae, while a resource in the community would not know anything about the policies and procedures of the NPC. They would still need NPC alumnae to support the chapter. Are you starting to see the issues here?

This is the crux of the issue right here. NYCAlumna, I'm trying to say this as gingerly as I can; but, with just 4 members and having been inactive for several semesters, your dormant sorority isn't in a position to request an absorption by an NPC GLO. If an NPC decides to start a new colony with, say, 60 women, they are not going to absorb 4 women from a local and then include the local's history and alumnae into the chapter. I'm sorry, I wish I had better news for you. If you're saying that other local sororities on your campus were absorbed and had their traditions or history included, then I imagine that those were proper absorptions of active, functioning chapters with 20+ members, yes?

Also, the fact that your alumnae already know the campus is, unfortunately, not a selling point. Dozens of NPC colonies are established every year from scratch without the help of alumnae members of a local sorority. Saying that your alumnae will not support an NPC colonization if they don't accept alumnae members for alumnae initiation is a moot point. The NPC colonization can happen with or without you, which you already acknowledged. However, you may be hurting your 4 girls who may only have the NPC as their last chance for a sorority experience or face permanent closure of an already dormant sorority.

Dare I say that having 4 members of a defunct local sorority and their vocal alumnae in the mix may actually work as a negative for any incoming NPC. This may be a disadvantage to you.

If your 4 remaining girls wish to join an NPC colonization, I urge you to support them. Memories of your local sorority will always remain in your hearts and no one can take that from you. Good luck.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 10-06-2013 at 08:29 PM.