View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
She didn't like what they stood for, etc. Greekchat gave her a well deserved lecture on the similarities of all our organizations. The women in the chapters make our groups. You can have a great experience with any of the 26 NPC organizations.
THIS I completely agree with. I am sure we would do well with any org that would have us.

However, I disagree that our sorority is looking to make any "demands" of anyone. These are just things we would want to happen should we be absorbed. If no organization is willing to incorporate our 25+ year history in the smallest of ways, (i.e., teaching women that the chapter colonized by XYZ org) or initiate our alumnae, we will probably just choose to die out and not be absorbed. That's not a "threat," it's just our pride in our history, letters and chapter. I would think it would be a win for an NPC to be able to absorb a chapter with women who are already familiar with the new campus's Panhel than to come in completely cold. It would be great for us to have the opportunity to become a part of an established NPC GLO as well, obviously. But if that's not a possibility, it's not a possibility.

My organization has 150+ alumnae, dozens of which still reside in the area and would be excited to initiate, help the new members, and provide guidance to the incoming GLO about the campus and the way GL works there. ... I know that NPC sororities today all have 100+ women in every chapter, but I don't think it's so outrageous to think that an NPC GLO would find value in 8-10 very passionate, organized women. After all, most NPC GLOs were founded by less than 10 women. In many large organizations, it's still 10 people who are doing 90% of the work.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Locals are being edged out of campus either way, so we either go down quietly, or we go down fighting. I am their advisor because I prefer the latter. Thank you all again for your input! I'll certainly update as things progress.

Last edited by NYCAlumna; 10-06-2013 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Grammar