View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

A Note for Curvier PNMs

Hello Everyone,

This is going to be a little long but hopefully it has a good message. I was one of several alumnae initiates initiated on May 3rd into Pi Chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta so this issue is still fresh in my mind. I want to encourage curvier PNMs not to settle on a dress.

I selected this one http://media.plussizetech.com/roaman...86_mc_0478.jpg and although it met all the requirements, I was uncomfortable through the entire day which was initiation in 2 groups, reinstallation, and the Feast of Roses banquet. It also ended up being big and it stretched so it got looser on top throughout the whole day. Now, I give Roaman's a lot of credit because they do have larger sizes and they do have some nice things but I settled on this dress because it met requirements and it was on sale. It also was 100% polyester and wore like a sack on me. However, if you click on the link I provided, there are other great white dress options currently there for the curvier PNM.

Please all PNMs check and make sure what type of white dress that you are going to need. I needed tea-length or longer and it had to be conservative so no low back or exposed cleavage or shoulders. Ritual is an important part of membership and it needs to be respected but please wear something that you feel good about even if it's not what you would normally wear. You don't want to keep pulling up the top of your dress and trying to fan yourself to stay cool because your skin is stuck to Polyester. It's an important day and you should able to enjoy it.

The reason that I told my story and some of these lessons can be used for all PNMs not just curvier ones is to tell all PNMs to please buy now if you can. If you don't need it after formal or informal, leave the tags on and return it if possible or gift it to someone who needs one, or loan it out to sisters in different chapters who might unexpectedly need one and not have time to get one. But please, be prepared with a white dress that works for you and your sorority. Also, you may think that it'll be easier to get a dress in a different month, most likely not. I shopped in April/May and I was too early for a lot of white dress options. I'd also advise checking out shoes early as well.

Oh and above all, you do not want to put yourself in the situation of having to immediately replace your dress. I am on the lookout for a new one already.

Notes: I only had 1 month to find a dress. I was notified that I was going to join Alpha Gamma Delta in April at IRD. I also went to several stores and none had a white dress in my size that met requirements. If you can find a store with your size, always always always try on the dress. I didn't have this option.

Thanks Everyone! I hope you have a good day!

Last edited by KohawkAlumna08; 06-26-2015 at 10:55 AM.