View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
--I don't know what it's like where you live but frequently the kids here who go to community/tech colleges as freshmen do not have the high school grades to get into 4 year schools. There are, of course, exceptions but I don't see the schools I know well having enough of them to form a viable chapter.-
Then keep the same GPA requirement. I also don't see why expansions to these schools can't be selective - just like they are with four-year institutions currently.

Quote:
- I have actually seen pushes to accept everyone who wants to sign up. One of these happened at a college where I taught; one year it was required that everyone get a bid. Our most bizarre students came out of the woodwork and pledged and it was hell for quite some time. The dean who thought up that crap suddenly left the school midyear.
So one school one year attempted this, it failed, and the dean left. ::shrugs:: This seems very anecdotal and doesn't point to widespread changes being pushed.

Quote:
--Not sure where you would start on this one. "Hey, this girl is a real troll, let's pledge her and those 2 trolls from Hickstown to make our "unattractiveness" quota."

--"OK, would pledging those 2 600-lb. girls and the one with 8 eyes satisfy those outsiders who are demanding a looks quota?"

--"Where's that scale where we rate girls on their attractiveness? We need to decide if those 3 girls we discussed are ugly enough to put on the bid list and satisfy outsiders."--/QUOTE]
I'm not arguing to put policies in place surrounding this, per say, and certainly not the extreme and unrealistic ones you've suggested. I was speaking of perceptions and why some are turned off by Greek life. And when our national orgs are sending down directives to only take the "pretty girls", that doesn't help. All it takes is one, and people think the whole system operates that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
If, in fact, today's students have this mindset, then they should start an independent greek organization (local); not go through recruitment, join an established chapter, and then decide they don't like the rules they have pledged to abide, and try to shut the chapter down. Granted, I do not follow the music industry closely, but I haven't heard of disillusioned artists trying to shut down large and established record companies because the artists might not have been chosen to work for them, because the company only chooses people with musical talent, and/or who have good looks.
I won't speak for knight_shadow, but I don't think his comments were referring to the people trying to shut down these chapters. You even said so in the second half of the paragraph above - that would be comparing apples and oranges since artists aren't trying to shut down record companies.

@~/~~~~