View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post

So.......it sounds to me that the dilemma is this:

1) Initiate with the sorority which offered you a bid this semester. Possibly not ever return back to that campus. The sorority would have to put you on alumnae status. That sorority does not have a collegiate or alumnae chapter in your current area. You would be a member, but you wouldn't have sisters in your area to interact with.

2) Withdraw from pledging your current sorority. Wait 4 years to graduate. Apply for AI with a group closer to you. Understand that they may not offer you membership at all.

Honestly? I would probably stick with the sorority that is offering you a bid today. You said there was still a chance for you to return to that campus in spring semester. Even if not, you may be able to work with your sorority to go on some kind of inactive status with a pending return Fall 2022. It is possible that you may not ever receive a bid again. Your current sorority could open up an alumnae chapter near you in the future. There are a lot of variables. However, in your case, it may be wise to take the deal you have right now.
First off I'm sorry you're dealing with a lot outside of school at the moment. It does sound like you're juggling a lot of big decisions in life and I also want to commend you for being open and honest, not only with a bunch of strangers here but also your concern for the sorority who offered you a bid and not wanting to feel like you are stringing them along, if circumstances don't pan out that would allow you to move and attend classes on campus.

I think some very valid points were brought up regarding staying with the current group in the hopes that perhaps if you can't attend in person this academic year, perhaps its possible next academic year.

Also, as you mentioned your group doesn't have an active presence near to where your home is at currently but much can change.

As others have mentioned up thread you have to go with what is best for you and prioritize your own health and well-being. I've dealt with ailing family members and during those times I had to scale back other things I was doing outside of work (since my college days are behind me) just so I could keep the focus of my free time to care for that ailing family member.

I think you've clearly put a lot of thought into this and wishing you the best whichever path you find is best for you. I think you've gotten some very sound advice, as these posters are very knowledgeable.