View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with breathesgelatin that this has to be done very, very carefully if they do decide to expand. Ole Miss, from everything I've heard, is one of those schools where a new sorority needs to be able to compete with the others from the get-go or they're doomed from the start.

It seems like all the sororities that normally would be a good fit there (strong Southern sororities) would not, in this case, for whatever reasons. Sororities that are strong nationally and with some strong Southern chapters (AGD, Gamma Phi) but not the "traditionally Southern" sororities would probably not fare the best here -- if even the strong Southern sororities have closed chapters recently at Ole Miss -- although there are always surprises. Some of the sororities that might otherwise do quite well here have just undertaken major expansions and probably don't have the resources to do another one so soon. And it sounds like the housing situation poses an additional problem not easily remedied -- and that comparable housing would be crucial to a group's survival.

I wouldn't be surprised if they vote to delay expansion for a few more years, no matter how much it is needed.