View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

On pref night, I wasn't very excited. I already knew I would pref Blue but I wasn't thrilled about either choice. But since pretty much all my friends were rushing, I didn't want to be left in the dust.
First I went to Brown, and to be entirely honest, I was not at my best. It's horrible to look back on, but I hardly talked to the 2 poor girls rushing me. I sat in the pref ceremony thinking about how little I wanted to be there. To be entirely honest, I just never gave the house a chance. I was just completely opposed to being in that house.
Then I went to Blue and was paired with a girl I hadn't clicked well with earlier in rush. The conversation was forced at best, but I tried to keep it up. I left feeling terrible about everything.
I ended up preffing Blue and decided not to suicide, because I didn't want to wait a year to join a sorority. My rho gamma also told me that I was more likely to get Blue if I didn't suicide. I don't know if I was overly confident or what, but I just kind of went with it.

Bid day rolled around and I had a pretty bad feeling about what was going to happen. I opened my envelope and saw that my bid was to...

... Brown
I went to bid night pretty sour, and it didn't help that I was tired and my bid night buddy kept trying to engage me. I was such a nightmare. Girls were coming into the house sobbing, not out of joy, and it was just bad. I'd heard that a lot of girls who get Brown drop on or right after bid night. I actually knew a few from my dorm who had done so the year before.

I didn't drop though. I told my parents I would wait until the new members bonded more, and I eventually realized that the reputation I'd heard was completely untrue. People sometimes call us ugly and boring, but we have gorgeous girls and tons of girls who have fun. We're just an incredibly diverse house, which isn't a bad thing. It took me until I got my big to really get settled in my house, but I've met some amazing people and made some really great friends. Also, we only had one out of 40 member drop her bid. Our house is on the rise, and I'm so grateful for my sisters and that I didn't drop. I'm now a proud, initiated Chi Omega, with a chair position within recruitment and plans to live in the house next year. My best advice to everyone is to stick it out and not to get caught up in reputation. Every sorority has its perks, even if it's a hidden gem. Just don't give up too soon, and make sure to give it your best shot before deciding it's not for you.