View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
I've got friends that have multiple arrests and no punishment, discuss their weekend hook ups with their mom...all that stuff. My parents are not my friends, and I will not be my child's friend. I complained about their rules as a teenager, but of course I'm now grateful.

I've noticed lately with all the parents on facebook now you can tell who the parent-friends vs. parents are easily. I'm still shocked every time I see someone's mom post details of their sex life on their walls. That will never not shock me.
I completely agree with you, my parents aren't even on Facebook, they don't even text and it is bliss. I felt so sorry for the friend who became intimate and was informed by their partner their mom knew the friend was the first sexual experience of their partner, and then met the mom and sat through a dinner. I recently saw on the facebook feed of the person who told mom they did the deed, that their step mother was taking quizzes and one of the questions was if this person was a virgin and a good kisser. That is a line I never want to have crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think on the old south campuses, early recruitment doesn't make a difference because recruitment actually starts 6 months or more earlier with the campus visits and alumnae teas for high schoolers. These girls are trained to know which girls they know are in which houses. However, at these same schools, they seem to be doing just fine with parity, so lack of anonymity doesn't seem to be a hindrance.

I just think spending truckloads of money on decorations sets a precedent of wasteful spending which ends up biting the young women in the arse 4 years later when they're buying their first car, apartment, etc. I don't know how much it helps or hinders recruitment, but it's a good life lesson that you can put on a perfectly lovely event and not spend a fortune.

I like the idea of all the Greek women wearing the same t-shirt on day one of recruitment which would I suppose sell sorority life as an institution instead of focusing right off the bat on the individual chapters.

I also LOVE the idea of chapter retention awards, both at the campus and inter/national sorority levels. Now THAT would be something to crow about during recruitment - we have the highest member retention on campus so that's proof our members are the happiest!
I think for some women it starts before they have been born and it is a cultural system we don't understand and may lessen but never disappear. Not only are there students from out of state, but there are many college students who are the first to go to college and have no knowledge of the systems in place and if they are lucky don't get told who someone thinks is the bee's knees or cat's pyjamas and these girls go through and join a chapter based on mutual selection and not the opinions of people who have a certain mindset. Will there always be a group who only want XYZ at some SEC school? Sure, but there will be women who join the other groups, new groups charter, and it will even out.

Yet again, real estate is the issue here, and that's a whole separate issue. Since we have moved all the alcohol to men's homes and therefore the RM issues when they close we can move in their homes