View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelblue View Post
It's been a conversation in my chapter that although we say we want to do continuous recruitment, we're realistically actually only "open" two weeks per year. So, we've decided that we're going to have to make some changes on how things are done.

Some ideas that my chapter's been coming up with include:
- Making it an expectation that someone always invites a non-brother whenever we hang out.
- Having a formal process to get the fraternity acquainted with PNMs and bid them if appropriate.
- Focusing more on social skills in member education (we're aren't exactly the most social people) in order to connect with more PNMs.

Does your chapter continuously recruit? If so, what are the things you do?
1) Great idea in theory, but how do you enforce that expectation? If your group aren't the most social people, you will find it really hard to get this to happen.

2) COR + Formal Process = Mixed Signals. For us, COR was getting to know someone and bringing the person around the chapter. The only time we had anything formal is when we did our interview, which was casual. Having too many formal processes can make COR not really COR.

3) I can see this backfiring with some people taking it as an insult rather than a help. Call it a 'rush clinic' or some sort and call them 'rushing tactics' rather than 'focusing on social skills.'

In practice for my chapter, COR just meant shortlisting people once we gave bids out during Fall or Spring rush.