Thread: children??
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2000, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

gloriajean said: In response to eclipse, I suppose one could also ask the nature of the question and why would you want to know?

gloriajean, I'm not sure what you mean by 'the nature of the question.' Could you clarify? As to why I want to know...their marital status would give me some indication of the support system that they had while undertaking such an endevour and like a lot of questions that are asked on this board I just wanted to know!

DELTABRAT said: "Why is the marital status of these women an issue?"

An issue???? I wouldn't say that it is an 'issue' for me, but I do think, if they were not married it should be an 'issue' for the sorority they were pledging.

If the next question is why would it be an issue...
1. I think a woman 5 months pregnant, married or not, should spend that time bonding with her baby to be, the father, etc., not trying to bond with her linesisters. That time is very important for the baby's devolpment. Plus, 3-4 months after she crossed she would probably be 'out of commission' for a while taking care of the baby, so what contribution could she make to the sorority? Of course, since I do not know the young lady in question, I am merely speculating.

2. As for the 25 or 26 with 3 children..time would certainly be a factor in my book! Plus, if you are a 25 year old single mother with 3 children,,,well, let me not go there!

3. In addition, I have heard many older members of sororities express distain for their younger sorors who are single parents because of the negative image that they may be sending to younger girls (in their youth or teen mentoring groups especially) that they might be mentoring.

I personally think society's standard regarding out of wedlock children has gotten too lax and that we must display the attitude that it is not o.k.

But in actuallity, all of this (my comments) are just general in nature, because I do not know the facts of the situation that c&c1913 spoke of.

Waiting for the floodgates to open....

p.s. Could someone tell me how to repost someone else's comments so they come bold and between the lines like gloriajean's did? Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited June 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited June 20, 2000).]