View Single Post
Old 09-08-2000, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I've been reading and I just have to say that when I decided to go to rush parties, if I wasn't good enough the way I was, then they weren't good enough for me. Girls, please please please please don't be someone else at rush. Why would you want to join a organization that was not a reflection of you or what you believe in?!? Furthermore, if you are joining a sorority for the social hype of it all, you're joining for the wrong reasons. Yeah, you want to get along with the sisters or it won't be a good experience, but you should be joining because you're interested in what the sorority stands for. . . biggest example PHILANTHROPY!!! The social aspect of sororities are only a minor part of it. This is not a popularity contest! Sororities are around to further goals. . . goals such as education, aiding the hearing and seeing impaired, animal rights, breast cancer research. If you're not interested in any of these things, then you are wasting not only your time and money, but the sorority's time and money.

" it is worth the money & effort to look your absolute best for rush because you
only have 1 short week to make a good impression on the sisters. make sure your
clothes are neat & ironed. choose things that make you look sleek and classic. get a
haircut a week or 2 before rush, and do your nails. wear classic jewelry, like pearls or
a simple necklace. don't wear any clothes, jewelry, or makeup that's just plain weird,
because sororities want girls who will fit in, not stick out. if you have a chance to
observe the girls before rush, you may want to dress in the style of the chapters that
you most want to join. this is an easy (if shallow) way to show them how well you'd
fit."

I couldn't disagree more. You should be yourself and if you're weird or quirky or whatever, don't lower yourself to dressing/acting a part that isn't you, in the long run you will be unhappy. Also, don't go out and spend a ton of money on clothing for rush, not only is there a chance that you might NOT be offered a bid, but accepting a bid and going through new membership process can be REALLY expensive. I'd hold off on spending money for rush clothes that you could use to pay for your sorority pin later on. The bathroom thing, if you have to go. . .GO!

Girls, this is a lifetime commitment. Join for the right reasons.

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited September 08, 2000).]