View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post

4. The advice here tends to come from a national-istic/utopian ideals standpoint. A lot on grades and recs (which don't get me wrong, those are essential on many campuses) but very little on looks, extroversion/social skills, and social media, which seems to be how most chapters are picking their members, if we're being honest.
I've been on GC for well over 10 years now, and as long as I've been here the NPC members make an effort to keep it pan-hellenic on the public side of GC. As I've read many NPC recruitment threads over the years, I've always had the impression that the "nitty-gritty" / true side of NPC recruitment was handled via PMs (private messages).

So, while on the public side of this message board there was / is an effort to stress grades and recs, because its true, more may being said on the private side, and we will never know.

Quote:
5. Well meaning warnings about waiting to post recruitment stories until after the process is over. This is probably fair advice but there's nothing like the excitement of the moment to encourage these threads rather than after, where you're either disappointed/embarrassed or more excited about your new chapter to do a play by play for strangers.
I've always felt that this was the best advice to give. Some PNMs would post too much information that could identify them during recruitment and people could easily figure out who they were. There were some recruitment threads that NPC members could easily guess the school based on a little information. Kinda like "Name That Tune", but I called it "Name That School".

I also think that posting a NPC recruitment thread after the process is over is better, because the young woman has time to settle down, collect her thoughts and write a more reflective story.

IMHO, being mean about NPC recruitment is relative. I'm sure it is much tougher to go through recruitment at a Southern / SEC school, than a Northeastern commuter school. The "meanies" were just giving honest advice based on campus culture.

And, as it has already been stated, there are more social media and online outlets to get NPC advice. Or, maybe PNMs finally got the message to contact the Greek Life Office at their school for information and not rely on strangers on a message board.