View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Our historical book, The Legacy of Gamma Phi Beta: Love Labor Learning Loyalty (2002), has some very useful information on the topic of recommendations.

On page 50, it states, "Article V, Section 9, in the 1884 constitution reiterated the three criteria above. Section 10, however, included the beginning of the recommendation system that has evolved over the decades. This section noted that each new member must receive a written endorsement from three 'active' (student) members before she is invited to become a pledge of Gamma Phi Beta."

Note that policy was from the 1884 constitution! Remember, Gamma Phi Beta was founded in 1874.

The text goes on to state that, in the 1920s, more and more women were traveling across the continent to attend university. That trend increased the need to receive recommendations from alumnae members as it became harder for the women to get to know potential new members.

Over the many decades, and especially in the 1970s and 80s, Gamma Phi Beta has affirmed that, while alumnae members do not choose new members, they have a shared responsibility in ensuring the viability and success of Gamma Phi Beta when it comes to the selection of new members. My organization emphasizes that shared responsibility.

Note: Nothing I have shared is ritual or confidential information. It is plainly available in our published history book. I have carefully avoided adding or hightlighting any extra information that would cross over into membership selection.

True and Constant