View Single Post
Old 06-19-2001, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kappagirl00:
The other rule I want to talk about is the only mixing in dry houses rule. I think this is a really, really good rule, but I think that it should be an NPC rule, not a Kappa one. I know all chapters are in the process of adopting this rule. On my campus though, a lot of sororities don't have the rule, and the result is that frats aren't choosing to mix with us because it's a big pain to negotiate with a third pary vendor. If it perpetuates on campuses, Kappa chapters will suffer during rush. I think all orgs in the NPC should have this rule, and they should all go under it ASAP to level the playing field when competing for mixers (did I mention my school's greek system is really cutthroat and competitive? hehe)
Hey kappagirl00:

I hear you on the "dry mixing" rule... I know that my chapter (Delta) has had a really hard time with this rule...

FYI, ALL NPC sororites will eventually be going to the "dry mixing" rule. It is hoped that (eventually) fraternities in IFC will follow the NPC's lead and go to dry housing. (This was a roundabout way of getting the men to go dry, too--take the women away, and they will buckle, many NPC reps felt.)

KKG, along with three other sororities (I can't recall which right now) adopted this "dry mixing policy"--becoming ground breakers in this area. The last time I checked, at least 7 other sororities have pledged to go to the dry mixing policy by September 2002. I think all of the other NPC chapters will fall in line after that. Their insurance carriers will simply refuse to cover them if they don't, I think.

FYI: During 1997, Sigma Nu, Phi Delta Theta and Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) Fraternities declared that their chapter facilities will be substance-free by the year 2000. FarmHouse Fraternity has always been substance-free. In January of 1998, Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity announced they will join the other four fraternities with the goal of having all chapter living facilities alcohol-free by July 1, 2000.

Here is the official notice:
"The National Panhellenic Conference passed a resolution last fall urging support of the NPC member groups and encouraging our chapters to do the same by scheduling non-alcoholic events with these specific fraternities. Other men's groups will be taking a similar stand on this important issue. Alcohol, in many instances, has proven
to be detrimental to the entire Greek system. It is vital that these men's fraternities receive our support!"

I hope this clears things up a little!!! I know that this policy changes a lot of the Greek system as many of us know it, but I do think that it's in the best interest of KKG's and the Greek system's future. It's just going to take a little time and a lot of getting used to.

Maybe it'll take a little stress off of the poor Social/Risk Management Chairs across the country--geez, the stress those girls go through!!!

Loyally,
Kristen

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!