View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

starting a local on a non-greek campus

I am trying to become a founder of a local sorority on a campus that does not and will not support a legitimate greek life. It has become a dream of mine to become part of an organization that supports sisterhood and friendship along with strong academics, community service and of course fun! So I thought that I would make a positive change to campus by starting a social group for women on campus with the mission of a sorority.
I decided to play along with the rules established by the campus which included allowing all members of the community, men and women, into the organization. I was sure that we could get around that by advertising and promoting the group as a WOMEN's group on campus. But I just met with the student activities group and they want our campus to specifically state that it is a CO-ED fraternity. They have even changed the fact that we call members "sisters."
I am extremely discouraged now and I'm wondering if it's even worth it. So should I compromise my original goals in order to be a part of a fraternity, sorority, whatever that is recognized and fits within the university's guidelines?
since 2007