View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I read all these with interest. My wife was—in the late 70’s and 80’s—an “area rec sister” (MY TERMINOLOGY) for her sorority. ANY chapter nationally that wanted info on a rushee contacted her from a huge list of such alums, and she would do her best to check alumnae rolls (in our adjacent 8 or 10 county area) and locate sisters who lived in those sometimes rural areas to gather information (a rec) on the girl in question. Once in a while it was even a teacher or—the mother lode—a guidance counselor! (I know now and then she’d have to use a “non-sister” teacher or counselor and indicated that on the form or in a phone call.)

So my question—I know an important part of that was academics. And occasionally she would be able to shed some light on a young lady with less-than-stellar grades who might have had a year-long illness or perhaps been in an accident.
NOW, will sororities still get HS grade information from universities or—if not—will this new lack of submitted recommendations throw that in the Panhellenic dust bin as well? And will groups just receive a “Yes, she’s eligible” which could range anywhere from a 2.75 to a 4.00 +?