Thread: My AI adventure
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I think that Gamma Phi has a pretty welcoming policy toward AI, and our alumnae chapters even get "extra points" for sponsoring an AI. Our AC has initiated two AIs in recent years...both worked for the college where we had a new chapter. One got to know our resident CLC during colonization, and the other was a very close friend of an active alum. Both women attended schools without Greek systems, and both women jumped right into advisory positions with the chapter. In both situations, the AC approached the potential member. Sponsoring an AI is very involved, and I wouldn't be eager to do it for a stranger.
I think Phi Mu is similar. I actually know of three women who were AI'd into my chapter while I was a collegian, and two were family connections, one was a prominent local businesswoman who was friends with a very active alumna.

I wouldn't know what to do with a woman who doesn't have some kind of personal connection to my organization. That said, I'd consider "friends in the org" a personal connection, and if any of my close female friends who were never Greek suddenly said "man, I really regret that I never joined a sorority", I would put the wheels in motion for them. I know several outstanding women through arts boards and such who I would love to have as sisters, even if they have never thought about a specific organization before.

So, for the PNAI's who are contacting headquarters and/or local chapters: do you not have any friends who were Greek women? That would seem to me to be the place to start.