View Single Post
Old 03-09-2002, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SATX*APhi

On September 11th, I went to my 9:45am government class where my teacher knew nothing about what had happened. Stunned, he said it was only right that we not have class and all go to the chapel to pray. This would have never happened at a public school.
I go to a BIG TEN University, and this happened at my school as well....this was a special situation, so maybe it's not fair to use that example, ya know???

With that aside, I am also not the child of an educator, but I attended Catholic school from K-12, and I am so grateful that my mother did that for me!! With the money she spent on my pre-college education, she could've bought a house when I was younger, and bought us matching Cadillacs...but she sacraficed so much for my education....

I grew up in Chicago, and there was a point when the public schools were on strike all the time. My step-sister attended a public high school. She wasn't alowed to take books home (WTF??), her "Chemistry" class was in the cafeteria (big sinks I guess), and the average class size was over 30 students. Even as a teacher, why would you want your kids subject to that when you have the means to pay for a better education???

Up here in Minnesota, there is a school district that has cut back educational funding so much, that teachers are getting laid off, school days last from 9am-1pm, and the school WEEK is cut to FOUR days....

To the question at hand, maybe these educators or school administrators feel they can help their community build up, and become better, that's why they work in publc schools--and till that time comes, they send their kids to private schools.