View Single Post
Old 03-08-2002, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

My mother has been a public school teacher and administrator for the last thirty years. My sisters and I all attended a private elementary school before we moved out into the public school system. We went from pre-K until the 6th grade and then we all attended public middle and high schools.

Although my mother believes in the value of the public school system, she understood the common shortcoming of it that can hinder a student's success. She wanted all of us to have a firm educational background and to be able to learn in a somewhat "safe" environment before attending public school.

Quote:
Originally posted by prayerfull
HC I was the only child who had to make sure my swimcap was air-tight during swim class? HC all the questions about what I was putting in my hair or why I didn't wash my hair every day? sorry...had to release that flashback...)
At my elementary school, I was the only black student in my class almost every year, until I was 11 years old. I had to deal with white teachers who had no clue what they were doing trying to comb my hair for school pictures (remember those little black combs with the tiny teeth). Other kids asked me stupid questions like "do you get tan in the summertime?" One little girl actually asked me if I liked being black. And, this was supposed to be a multicultural school.