View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day!

Bid Day-
I stood on the Quad with 1000 other PMs (sandwiched back between the cheerleader and the golden girl again) and got my bid card. While I was holding it unopened in my hands, I remember thinking how sad I was going to be if it were Denmark or Monaco. I was already thinking about ways to politely decline the bid from either of those houses, because I thought that if I declined the bid, maybe another girl who really wanted to be in those houses could. I can’t reiterate enough how silly this thought process was. Being Greek, especially at a campus like Mizzou, in any chapter is amazing. I was definitely not being rational.

I'm not sure how bid day works at other campuses, but at Mizzou, all the PMs stand on the quad in lines and are given sealed envelopes. You hold the envelopes while the recruitment counselors reveal which chapter they are parts of and then there is a huge countdown. At the end of the countdown, the PMs rip open their cards and see who their bid is from. The seniors from each of the chapters are waiting on the quad, and the PMs run to their seniors who lead them back to the chapter houses for bid day.

The girls standing next to me were both "Totally positive" they would get the chapters they wanted. I was a unsure and scared. Holding that envelope in my hands was so frightening. After the countdown, I opened my envelope. All around me there were hundreds of squealing, jumping girls (and a few crying, sullen girls). I wasn't sure what I would be.
I opened the envelope and read...

ENGLAND!
I was so excited!!! I ran to the chapter house and met my new sisters. The minute I walked up the lawn to the house, I knew that getting released from Spain was the best thing that could have happened to me- I would have made myself try and fit in there to be like my sister-in-law. At England, I knew I would be able to thrive on my own two feet. And if Spain hadn't released me, I know that I wouldn't have even given any other chapters a chance.

I am happy to report that I went on to hold many positions in the chapter and am actively involved in my local alumnae group. I hope I didn’t offend anyone with this story, I was just trying to explain how I felt at the time.

I just wanted to share my story of how someone who wanted to drop recruitment after being cut from “the one” found a place that was perfect for her. If you get cut from a house you think is perfect, do NOT drop out of recruitment- you might be shutting the door to the house you were meant to be in! In each house there are the smart girls, the intimidatingly-pretty girls, rich girls, sporty girls, religious girls, party girls- do not judge a chater….keep and open mind and you will find your home away from home in Greek Life.

Oh, and my chapter?
England is

Alpha Phi!