View Single Post
Old 04-14-2000, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
I think the previous 2 posts just about covered things...here's my personal perspective. If you have a strong family tradition in the area/school you go to, then that can be motivation for getting involved in a local. There are a couple of non-greek letter orgs. at my school that are usually comprised of people whose parents (and often grandparents) went to school here.

Also, when I was looking into GLOs, I decided that I was looking for something other than what the GLOs at my campus had to offer. After doing some research, I found a local sorority that was looking to expand to other schools. It was easier for them to colonize at my school than a NPC or NPHC sorority because they did not have to meet any requirements through the University NPC or NPHC councils, only through the University (that our group be a registered student org.) This meant that we could establish ourselves and evolve solely through our ownn (chapter) governance, plus the influence of our (at the time) newly created National Organization.