View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 04:35 AM
GreekChat Member

When I pledged in 2004, the (extremely fun!) things we did together as a pledge class which are now considered hazing include:
- We participated in a scavenger hunt around campus with questions to help us learn about the sorority. No items needed to be collected; we only answered questions and received a clue to find the next sister along the way
- We cooked a meal together, with the help of our Bigs, for the active sisters and our sweetheart
- We planned and put into action a (small) fundraiser
- We planned and participated in a philanthropic event (we volunteered at a dance for mentally challenged teenagers/young adults.. and had a blast doing it!)

The only thing that has survived is the New Member test, which sisters nationwide have to take and pass in order to be initiated.

In my opinion, the last two things on my list above should never be restricted or considered hazing. These things allowed us to work together as a pledge class, run our own business meetings in a more formal manner, hold positions to manage projects, and see what work the sorority would entail.

@~/~~~~