View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Well that was a few sentence explanation of a larger idea. Let's say your monthly plan is $50. You only get 150 texts a month with your plan.

your equation would be y=.10x+50

(x would be number of texts a month over the 150 you get included in plan. y would be the total amount you have to spend)

If you use less than 150 texts in the month, you only pay the $50. So your first point on the graph would be (0,50).

Now let's say you have a super social teenager, and he decides that "texts are pretty cheap!" and uses 1,000 texts in that one month. That's 850 more texts that you get in your plan. Each additional text over your plan costs .10 (I think that's what I used as a random example in previous post). so 850 texts at .10 each comes out to be $85 in texts. (craziness!)

So if you wanted to graph that point, it would be (850, 135) (the 850 is the number of texts beyond what you get. the 135 is the total cost for the month, the $50 monthly charge + the $85 in texts.

If you plot those two points, connect them with a ruler, and you have your line graphed.

Did that make any more sense or just cause more confusion? (it's hard to explain without writing down or speaking)
The first part made perfect sense to me, though I never would have thought of it in terms of a linear equation. The second part on graphing it, not as much. I think I could figure out how to do it, but to me, it seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Frankly, it would never occur to me to want to graph it or to feel the need to. I'd stop at knowing what the numbers are; that would be enough for me.

You see why I'm challenged in telling him how he'll use this later in life -- I don't use it, or I use it without realizing it, and therefore without appreciating the value of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
@MC: I never knew your son was on the spectrum (not that you advertise it), but those are some of my favorite students.They have....such a way with words.
They certainly do.