View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think you are interpreting the word "taboo" in the wrong way.

It's more like - people on GC got sick of any Jane, Susie or Mary who didn't join a sorority in college (and often for really dumb reasons) being told that "there's always AI." It's not a consolation prize, it is a special honor. It is also not a substitute for collegiate membership and the activities you do as a collegian.

G Phi B's website is also pretty clear that coming in cold (i.e. AIing without knowing a soul or having any connection to anyone in the sorority) really isn't the way to go about it. There was a rash of posters on GC some years back who were "sorority shopping" - i.e. trying to AI into some group, ANY group, that would take them.
Also, there's a chicken and an egg thing with AI. A PNAI(?) may know that she would be an awesome adviser and do a ton for the local collegiate chapter if she were initiated, but she would have a hard time getting initiated without having a connection to the chapter first. On the other hand, being around as an adviser when she isn't an alumna is weird. So there's not really a smooth way to get a foot in the door without a personal connection.

Now...occasionally, you have a remote chapter with little alumnae support. In those RARE cases where they really need more local support for the collegians, a group could be open to a sort of "cold call", but I think most would still want to know why a PNAI had selected *that* group, and that she wasn't calling everyone.

Even so, I am surprised at the example upthread, as just-out-of-undergrad grad students are usually not good choices as advisers, because they are too close in age. Maybe if they serve a minor role on the advisory board it would be okay, but I have to think that most groups are like my own in that they pick 23-year-old advisers as a last resort.