View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWolf View Post
I was a Computer Science Engineering Major in a Greek Organization ... I'll tell you something. It's a completely different ball game than my brothers !!!

Computer Science is a Cyber Cave... your son is going to write code well into the night. In fact I realized that the best coding times where in the moon light hours. Greek organizations are extremely time consuming. Your son is going to have to wrestle with extremely long projects and greek events.

That said, I'll tell you one thing. I absolutely think it was the best decision I ever made. I'm not naturally shy but I am a natural thinker. But the greek life was something that pushed me into the Leadership Role as well as into the Social Role. It was a great choice, and I loved every minute of it.

Just make sure that your son knows how to manage his time. You don't want him going to functioned events while he should be finishing his projects. WHICH ARE GOING TO BE TIME CONSUMING AS YOU'VE NEVER IMAGINED !!!
I agree. I went to a somewhat smaller school with very strong CompSci and Engineering programs, yet was very much a Greek-focused school. While a lot of girls that I know were in different programs, I had a lot more guy friends than girl friends. My boyfriend at the time was in a fraternity and he, along with a lot of others in scattered fraternities, were CompSci majors and they actually found it easier the older they got. You know, that they were quite stressed during the pledging and new member periods, but once they were Juniors and Seniors, they found it much easier to balance the two (plus a varsity sport). They all agree that it was completely worth it.

He just has to realize that he will have a hard time if he a) doesn't have good time management skills or b) doesn't put forth the huge effort that it will be, especially the first couple of years. But everyone that I know who went through the same thing (ten years ago) wouldn't have traded it for the world.