View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Just thought you ladies might want to know that two Delta Zeta badges are currently up for bid on ebay under the listing of Alpha Zeta pin. The seller is apparently confused, but that may keep the price down. Good luck!
Confused, uneducated, or out to make a buck?

Initiates are granted a lifetime leasehold of their badges; upon an initiate's death, the badge should be returned to the fraternity or sorority's HQ. Some badge boxes even have a message in them to that effect. Unfortunately, if the deceased has not educated her family, or if the deceased or the family did not take the duty of returning the badge seriously, the badges float around - which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't show up on auctions like eBay.

I'm wondering whether Greek societies could create methods of keeping better track of badges. There are some measures in place: my music fraternity has a death notice form for the chapter to send into national HQ, which I presume the fraternity uses to update the membership rolls and to ask for the badge to be returned (not sure how that works?) But to avoid these auctions, we might have to go scanning obits or something. ?

The last thing I remember reading from national is that they were pleased to have DZs purchase the badges off eBay, but not to spend any more than $50. We all love our badges, but I guess some sisters were spending some serious dough to get them back to where they're supposed to be!

Last edited by Monica_Seattle; 03-06-2008 at 03:30 AM.