View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry this took so long!

I woke up to a 7:30 AM call from my Pi Chi letting me know when I could pick up my schedule- I still had at least one invite! Running to the student center, I opened my schedule to see....

LINDSAY
TOBIAS

My heart dropped. I wasn't surprised I lost Maeby, but I kept scanning my schedule for Lucille. It had to be a mistake- I couldn't understand how I had felt such a connection with Lucille yesterday, but they didn't feel anything. I sprinted back to my dorm room, called my mom, and just cried for an hour. I had been so confident that Lucille was my home, and to not be visiting them for pref just felt wrong. I tried so hard to rationalize it, but couldn't think of any reason for my being cut (of course, now I understand these decisions aren't always personal, ect.). Seeing other girls walk to the Lucille house for pref stung, but I was determined to do the best that I could at the houses I was invited to. It was a gift I had a full schedule every round of recruitment, and I was still thankful two houses wanted to see me again.

LINDSAY: I set my sights here. I had felt a connection here all recruitment, but had never given them a chance. Pref was my opportunity to really sell Lindsay to myself. I was picked up by an active I'd talked to during philanthropy round, and we had a good time. She was a founding member of the sorority, and I got a whole new appreciation for the effort these sisters put in to making Lindsay successful. They served chocolate covered strawberries, and I spent half the time staring at mine wondering how on Earth I was going to eat that without making a mess! A sister gave a beautiful speech about how Lindsay made her feel accepted after a battle with self-image, the sisters serenaded us, and we were given their sorority flowers. I left Lindsay knowing I could find a home here, but wondering if I had made a good enough impression to receive a bid- and also still feeling the loss of Lucille.

TOBIAS: Tobias had been lackluster for me all recruitment, but I knew pref could change things! Their ceremony was beautiful, and we also received a token (if I shared what it was it would definitely reveal the sorority!) that was impressive. I was rushed by three actives at the same time, none of whom I'd talked to at previous parties. A girl I'd talked to second round did stop by and said something nice about how "the whole chapter was talking about me/they're so happy to see me at pref/she knew I'd come back/ect", which was very sweet, but made me feel guilty because I hadn't had the same feelings about them. I actually found parts of this party slightly weird- food distribution was strange, sisters sat at your feet, making it feel less intimate than Lindsay's, and there were some parts of the ceremony that felt a little uncomfortable.

Remember when I said my first resolution for rush was to not SIP? I sat in the computer lab for almost an hour deciding whether or not to do it. I was truly unsure about whether I would accept a bid from Tobias, and if I would be able to put my heart into a chapter I hadn't felt at home with. I'd always been adamant I wasn't rushing just to join any sorority, but that if I didn't click, I wouldn't join. However, after a long conversation with my Pi Chi, I decided that I didn't want any what-ifs. I'd rather try out Tobias than not receive a bid at all, and always wonder if I would have loved being a Tobias. So I ranked

1. LINDSAY
2. TOBIAS

...and waited for bid day!