View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Honestly, this is probably more in the spirit of what the founders did/wanted than today's rush. But I understand why that wouldn't work.
Exhaustion! By the end of rush, you just hated the sound of a ringing telephone!

I should also add that, each time you were seen on campus by a sister whose house you were rushing, you were under the microscope. If you went to a fraternity party, you had to act VERY circumspect, yet fun. It was a very hard tightrope. My mother had worked her social group, and I had recs to (bless her heart, she acted as if I was rushing at an SEC school!):
Alpha Delta Pi
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Zeta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Chi Omega

The Parties were a half an hour this time:

Ann, her roomie, Meg, and I went on the same run with one exception; Lisa was now rushing on her own. For this round, I wore a khaki pants, a yellow shell, and a navy blazer, with the all-important neck scarf (the designer who had all the links along the edge?) and my special pin.

Our first house was Diamonds. This was a skit round, and after having some punch and cookies, we were all seated to watch their skit, based on a Disney movie which would give it away. Meg found someone from her high school and was thrilled. We all left in a good mood.

We then went to Garnets. The whole room was covered with foil, and chairs were set up as if we were on a plane. We were served snacks from sisters dressed as flight attendants, on those old-fashioned airline trays, and sisters dressed up as various characters sat among us. It was a cute skit, and I loved how comfortable I felt there.

Jade's party was a Mickey Mouse theme. Ann and Meg loved it, but I didn't feel at home there. I was beginning to think that, to be in a sorority, I had to "dumb down" to like these skits. They served corndogs and punch, and again, a chorus of sisters hummed continually.

Emerald did an Alice in Wonderland skit, which started with us having to get down on our hands and knees to "go down the rabbit hole". I was not a happy camper! I can't remember what they served, or the skit, just that I was going through this for my Rho Chi, and I was resenting it. I found out later that Ann & Meg felt the same way.

At last, the Rubies' party. It had a circus theme, and we had popcorn, peanuts, and cracker jacks. Without giving it away, one of the sisters got tangled in a web of cotton candy (I found out much later that it was quite easy to do! They had to have a different sister for each party in this part!), and how her sisters helped her out. The three of us were separated, and we each got to know sisters much better that way.

So, after this round, I ranked the parties:
Rubies
Garnets
Diamonds
Jade
Emeralds

Ann ranked them:
Jade
Garnets
Rubies
Diamonds
Emeralds

Megan ranked them:
Diamonds
Garnets
Rubies
Jade
Emeralds

Lisa ranked them:
Garnets
Rubies
Jade
Amethysts
Emeralds

This time, the Chat Dates became a bit more serious. Finances were discussed, Diamonds, Garnets, Rubies, and Jade all had Rush Mixers with at least two different fraternities - everything was cranked up a notch. Then came the day we were to receive our invitations to the 3rd round parties.

Last edited by honeychile; 06-21-2007 at 09:25 PM.