View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

memories

Rereading all these bumped posts and this story was my daughters at Ole Miss to a T. She knew NO ONE at Ole Miss, we were from out of state and had no connections. She was so devastated on bid day to get her number 2 only because she was so dirty rushed by her #1 choice. All the texts of you have it, everyone loves you, the rush team all adores you and all the adds on facebook. She always sat front and center at every party and talked to the exec every time. The texting cont all the way until she was standing at the Lyceum 5 min before bid cards when she got the text. "I don't know what happened you aren't on our list!" Needless to say the day was a bust because the disappointment and shock was just to much to be able to brush off. She also had made the mistake of listening to tenttalk of reputations of the sororities and had rec. a bid to the "party" group. My daughter did not drink and was immediately feeling like she would never fit in. But 5 years later my daughter graduated with highest honors and having held several different offices including new member. (The advisors begged her to be president but her academics came first). After the rocky start she threw her all into her sorority and loved every minute of it as sometimes life's biggest disappoints lead to your biggest successes. Sometimes you turn into momma bear when your child is hurt so I must admit it brought me a little joy when the next year during rush week,we were sitting around talking to a girl who pledged the "dirty" group and she told us this story. " yeah, at rush practice one of the older girls stood up and told us, no matter what you do don't think and text a PNM that she has it and stuff. Last year one of our girls that we rushed hard and told her she had it was not on our bid list on bid day."
All this to say prepare your child for all the things that can happen during rush both good and bad. Never take reputation tent talk seriously and encourage them to stick it out if they don't get their #1 pick. You never know they may end up in the sorority that wins the Chancellor's cup 3 out of the 4 years while they are there and having a blast . Bid day is now a source of smiles and headshaking.