View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I'm on board with tacky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I don't see why a HM registry is any tackier than a standard gift registry. Either one is pretty much saying "we picked stuff out for you to buy us."
I think the difference in this scenario only is the fact that the bride is repeatedly posting about it, asking for donations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Ivy View Post
One of my APhi sisters is getting married next month and was just asking opinions about the dollar dance today. While I don't really like the tradition, the older generations around here pretty much expect it to happen. One friend had a suggestion of donating the money from the dollar dance to a charity.

Also, in my neck of the woods, the groom dances too. My poor husband danced with all of my great aunts. It was kind of sweet though.
Agreed.

The next morning after my wedding I found $200 in a bank envelope in my bag. After texting around I had come to find out it was from my uncle--it was our wedding gift from him and he was going to give it to me during the dollar dance. Little did he know I was anti dollar dance so he just gave it to my mom to put in my bag. I made a mental note to acknowledge it in my thank you note.

He passed away unexpectedly a month later. The last time I saw him was my wedding. I know there's no way I could have known, but I still feel so guilty that I didn't have that dance with him. I barely talked to him with all the other busyness of the day.