View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
Not trying to pick a fight here, but the use of that phrase in this context brings the lolz. Mixers are serious business, folks.

Honestly, though, I don't see how joining a sorority constitutes committing to drinking in a basement with the bros* for the next four years, regardless of whether you feel like it or not. The responsibilities I pledged to uphold did not include partying with fraternity men so that other greeks would like us more. I joined a sorority to make friends (both male and female) and gain leadership experience. I did both, I guess in spite of my decision to skip some mixers and instead spend time doing things I found more enjoyable. I have absolutely no beef with the sisters who did like to go - more power to 'em. But the one-size-fits-all model of what it means to be a "good" sister who "honors her commitments" doesn't work on all campuses and in all chapters. And frankly, I'm not impressed the criteria being chosen in this thread for what constitutes a valuable member of a sorority.

*Yes, I realize that's not what constitutes a mixer on all campuses, but that's essentially what it was where I went to college.
Like it or not, earning a reputation as the sorority that doesn't do social stuff hurts your recruitment, hurts participation in your philanthropy, and can harm your sisterhood (as we see here with the OP describing a divide by class).

Nobody is saying that every sister has to go to social events. The overwhelming gist of the thread has been "don't commit to events and then not attend them" or "find out if members are unsatisfied".