View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreekorwhat View Post
Thanks for the awesome answers! Do you know how long this process will take? And how exactly are new members recruited? I'm going to be a junior next semester, but I have about 40-50 girls who are interested in joining.
How long it takes depends on the group and other factors. If your school isn't interested in expansion, it won't happen at all. If they are then it will take at least a semester to announce that they're open for expansion and have an interest group that wishes to be colonized, receive interest packets, select group(s) to present, have these groups present, pick a new group, have that group come on and colonize, and then be installed as an official colony and then chapter. I'm not trying to scare you out of going for this if it's something you're truly passionate about, but I want you to know that it could not happen at all or take a very long time. I know of colony members on GC who graduated before their colony was installed as a chapter and had to come back to be initiated.

As for how sororities pick members, that differs too. Some groups won't consider interest groups at all, or the interest group might be absorbed wholesale, or a colonization team will interview girls inside and outside the interest group and hand-pick them.

If I were you I'd start by asking someone within your school's Office of Greek Life how they feel about an interest group being absorbed by a sorority and proceed from there. If they're against the idea it's not happening, but if they're not you've got a shot.