View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Don't most sororities have due process? Doesn't the "accused" have the right, and the sorority the obligation, to hold a meeting between the accused and the standards board (or whatever that particular sorority calls their judicial board)?

My sorority has definite procedures that must be followed before a member can be expelled. That is why I am saying that the OPs story doesn't make sense. She has not mentioned meeting with anyone other than the president, who told her she was no longer a member. I think that is why several posters have suggested she call her national office.

While I doubt that the OP would still want to be an active part of her sorority, she might be able to have her membership restored to alumna status.
Judging from the OP's posts, it sounds like this colony was started and run in an extremely loosey-goosey fashion, i.e. what some people would refer to as a "letter dump." Dump the letters on the women, throw some booklets at them, get your fee and whoop dee doo, you have a new chapter on your roll. If that is the case, blaming the chapter president or the collegiate members for not giving her due process is kind of like blaming a 6 year old who gets in a car for not being able to reach the gas pedal and coming to pick you up at the mall.

Now as I said - this is what I glean from the OP's posts. If there are other women who've had bad experiences with the chapter/colony, they need to consult the national headquarters as a group (not to mention the campus Greek life office, who may want to tell this national they need to have a come to Jesus moment if they want to stay a recognized campus organization). If she's the only one and everyone else is happy as clams, I'll go back to what I said before - neither side was "wrong", it just was a bad fit from the beginning.