Thread: Kappa Random
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
I'm not really sure why some of the single letters are out of order. I do know that in the early years, they would "reuse" chapter designations of chapters that had already closed. But in the 1890 (I think) convention, they voted to add a Beta to those chapters to designate they were the second chapter with that designation (and Gamma if they were the third). That's why Beta Zeta and Beta Tau are Beta chapters even though they were established before some single letter chapters.

And thus concludes today's Kappa history lesson!
Oh how interesting! What a sneaky way to address it. I wonder if they made the change to preserve the history of the closed chapters, or with the foresight that they may someday be reopened? I would imagine they didn't think there'd to so many chapters in the future that we'd need so many double letter chapter names. There's so much in our history (and all GLOs really) that is interesting and just waiting to be discovered by the next generation! So much to learn...