View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

As detailed as Irishpipes's list is, there are also "immediate recolonizations" (which used to be known as reorganizations) that may not have made the list. I don't think those are done anymore, because they usually don't work well and they create bitter feelings. However, if a chapter had a physical house and they didn't want to lose it, it was probably worth a try.

In those efforts, the current members would all be given alum status (and sometimes an opportunity to be interviewed by the national reps and remain active with the newly reconstituted group), and then nationals would recruit a whole new "clean slate" group of PNMs the next semester. Sigma Kappa did this at Maryland when I was there, and it worked great. That would have been 1984, I think. Both my chapter of initiation (Michigan) did this, and so did Maryland. Both times, the chapters eventually closed for real and they've both sucessfully recolonized after 10-15 year hiatuses. None of these intermediary reorganizations appear in Irishpipe's thread, and I know of 2-3 more with other groups at Michigan that aren't noted either.

Does anyone remember the big brouhaha a few years ago when Delta Zeta tried to reorganize at a school in illinois or Indiana due to low numbers and there was a big media spash because disgruntled members who were given alumnae status publicly complained about the process?

I think RFM has helped, and staying off for 4+ years helps, too.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 11-09-2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typos