View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I still use the old terms. They make SENSE. I think by dumbing down and PCing the lexicon, you've got a lot of people who really don't get the responsibility anymore. My biggest pet peeve is all the PC language that often takes 5 words to say what 1 did.
George Carlin did a bit about how shell shock became post traumatic stress disorder and how it has diminished the intensity of what it is by adding syllables.

And I still use the old terms as my little way of fighting the stupitude. When we can't let anyone's feelings get hurt or reward people for being better at something, it makes everyone worse. Why CAN'T we distinguish the pledges as being less than the initiated members? Why can't it be seen as an accomplishment to make it through? Why can't the process be seen as something wholly different from a job interview or college entrance? I don't like the baby this or baby that thing either, but I think it's better than the concept that the pledges have the same member status as the woman who has been a member for 50 years. And on that tangent, I wish we'd go back to the pledges having to actually pass a test to gain full membership. Maybe then we could ask the question, can you join another sorority ever ever in your whole life even if you move to another school? It still wouldn't solve some of the girls who refuse to not be stupid, but it would solve some of it.