View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Oy vey -- you're opening up a can of worms.

I think that what needs to be understood is that the Alabama situation is comparatively rare. I would guess that 95% of "historically white" Greek systems have been integrated for years. That does not mean that they are well-integrated -- many historically white sororities and fraternities do not have that many black members (or in some cases, Asian/Hispanic/other minorities). But most of the time this is not for lack of trying. I think the majority of NPC/NIC Greek systems would welcome a quality rushee regardless of skin color -- but many times, people of color feel more at home in an NPHC/NALFO/multicultural-based group.

I agree with GP -- there are problems on both sides of the fence. Because of the history of Greek organizations the historically white fraternities and sororities aren't seen as welcoming towards people of color even though they may be. Personally I don't feel that the NPC sororities have done enough to counteract the old "whites only" clauses, both written and understood. But we can't decide who rushes, and if there are no PNMs of color then there can't be any non-white sorority girls either.