View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Mea Culpa!

Alphagamuga: No need to apologize. I didn't take from your post that you thought NPC rush was better. However, in rereading my reply, it looked like I did. Sorry about that.

I really think your point is a very valid and important one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
My last point was simply that it would be helpful for freshman men to know that at some (most?) campuses they are unlikely to get a bid if they go through rush without knowing people in the groups already.

Some guys might think that bids are extended based on how they present themselves during rush and might not know they really don't stand a chance of getting a bid if they don't know the guys already. (Particularly because the processes of IFC and NPC rush are presented pretty similarly on many greek life sites, even if it's clear that NPC is way more structured.)

If PNM guys knew that the groups were giving bids all year, then they would know to maybe attend a few things, meet some folks and develop friendships with group members, then maybe formally rush.

I'm just feeling bad for nice guys who would probably make good members but just don't know how it really works on their campus.

As long as you're at a school where guys from your high school attend or your dad attended, you probably understand the system and have connections. But if you go out of state and are one of few folks from your hometown, good luck!
I would just add that both the IFC and the chapters need to do a better job with getting the word about rush. Doing so can help to elevate the number of potential members that a chapter might consider for a bid. To be clear, chapters should bid only those men that are good fits for the chapter. But it may also help to keep many of the "good fits" from slipping through the cracks.

One other point. I also believe that if a chapter doesn't want to have more than one rush a year, and it works for them, then more power to them. However, it just seems like many of the strong chapters do rush year round. Both formally and informally.