View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Banned

Monet,
thank you as well.

We're all here to learn. Some people want to ruin this thread like they ruined this thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...rity+challenge

-Rudey

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
See, that's why I like you Rudey, you do ask direct questions bravely... And you hold you own...

To directly answer you question for my instance ONLY:

Because both my parents told me I can join whatever organization I wanted, but they are only paying for AKA!!!

It is because I am a legacy and I joined my organization before there was a legacy clause in its constitution.

For those of you that work at a university, my graduate school that also was an undergraduate institution had a greek life office that requested that ALL greek organizations provide them with up to date International constitutions and bylaw documents... So it really depends on the amount of disclosure required from the universities...

Most large universities have this anti-greek disconnect from the communities. I have spoken to many members in HWGLO's about this issue alone. Because many of them provide excellent leadership opportunities for their members.

So, if there is some much sentiment from the "general campus population", then how are HBGLO's getting members--is the question I am reading from those who are interested and are posting?

Truthfully... There can be some improvements made... I agree with elldawg on that one...

What worked in my old stomping grounds was getting alumni involvement in the undergraduate chapter, i.e. attending the undergraduate events, etc. There are procedures that go along with that and I will not discuss this issue further...

But, basically, it took ALL the graduate advisors from the represented NPHC groups to come together on one accord and get our kids to the level the school is requesting us to be... When we stepped in, we had a Math Ph.D. (lady of DST), police officer (gentleman of Kappa), V.P. of the Urban League (lady of DST), an entreprenuer (lady of ZPB), a bank officer (lady of SGRho) and me Mol. Bio. Ph.D. (AKA)... We got a hold of our young people and laid down the ground work for them and afterward we got a lot of cooperation... Eventually, we were handling our business at the school and grades went up.

We had a unified approach to interests. And we were considering participating in the generalized rush practices of the NIC/NPC, but I had graduated and left grad school by that time.

But what I realized from all the young people in the NPHC was they were encountering overt discrimination not only because of their ethnicity, but also because they were greek by the administration and faculty... And the school police officers also saw it that way too... Then they had to validate themselves to OTHER greeks... No wonder these kids were at each other's throats... We had to get them back to the table and let them know we are all in this together. EDUCATION FIRST!!! But if our kids were encountering overt discrimination, that is where the Graduate Advisors and a few powerhouse members can step and and ask questions to make corrections... Quickly...

One thing that many HBCU's require is that all interests can submit for membership in their sophomore year. RARELY do we accept freshmen... And they are 2nd semester freshmen on a full load with a C+ GPA at a 4 year university with an active chapter on campus... Direct from the AKA website under membership requirements.

So, it isn't that much that we are asking. I don't know what other questions can be asked that I would want to answer... Hayle, if I had the internet back in the day, I'da be a googling fool...