View Single Post
Old 03-02-2001, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

James, it is noble of you to try to make some kind of "bridge" between the "traditional" GLO's and the "culturally based" GLO's, however, some GLO's were founded because of segregation long time ago. And although, you, yourself may feel that you had nothing to do with that and even I have had nothing to do with that, some of us just do not seem to be able to forget it and put it past ourselves...

And the fact really is that most "traditional" GLO have a lot of money compared to that of at least a BGLO. And even the IFC/NPC has a lot more money than that of the NPHC. That is just a fact. And we can talk endlessly as to the reasons for these discrepancies...

I know at least on my campus, the traditional GLO's greek week is used as a fund raiser for a major charity. That is a nice idea, but I feel that the culturally based GLO's feel a need to provide support within their respective communities. That's why most of the culturally based GLO's do not feel the need to participate to raise funds for ONE major charity when they support numerous charities within their communities...

One way I would try is to support the public forums of the culturally based GLO's. Most of the time, at least in BGLO's, they go through great strides to bring folks in to teach their respective collegiate community about a specific topic as outlined by their National Headquarters.

So say, if my organization decides to have a public forum on "racial profiling" as seen on campus, would your organization attend??? It's a tough call, but somehow, with all the pain and anger, we might just get to Umoja (or unity in KiSwahili)...

[This message has been edited by AKA_Monet (edited March 02, 2001).]