View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Silver17 View Post
Hello everyone!

I have been an active member of my sorority for the past four years. I had been very dedicated until becoming a recent alumna.

After doing some reflecting, I feel like being in the organization was more so like running a business than experiencing a sisterhood. I had always promoted Greek Life for what it has to offer and I definitely would not be in the professional opportunities I am experiencing now without being involved in Greek Life very heavily throughout my undergrad.

Reasons that I wish to disaffiliate mainly are from me disagreeing with our new member education as well as the fact that I do not believe my organization has anything to offer me as an alumna.

I feel like the only thing the sorority is benefiting me in is on paper on my resume, but that is all. I have few actual friends in such a small organization (chapter-wise & nationally) and am not sure if this was the sisterhood intended for me.

This is definitely something that has been on my mind for a few months. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!
I am really confused... why would you consider resigning your membership at this point, when there are little to no requirements of you? So what if the "only" benefit that you feel that you get currently is on your resume?

How about thinking down the road when you might have daughters or grand daughters who would be legacies? How about if you move to a new city and know absolutely no one there... you still have sisters that you can reach out to there. Don't dismiss the importance of that kind of friendship.

You say that your organization has nothing to offer you as an alumna, yet you acknowledge significant professional opportunities that you have as a result of your membership.

Unless you have some really significant, moral or ethical disagreement with the new member program, that seems to be a pretty minor reason for leaving.....