View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 3 – 5 party day
5 parties of 45 minutes each

We met with our Rho Chi and I couldn't wait to see where I would get to go today. When A.M. Handed me my list, I could tell she was waiting for my reaction. I opened the paper to see only four chapters listed:
Germany
England
Italy
Finland

Wait, What?!? I didn't understand! What about my BFF from Greece? Where was Spain? And why was Italy on there when I hadn't even visited their chapter on 10-party day? Italy was easily explained – when I regretted chapters' invitations the previous day, I'd put “regret with interest” which meant “I'm still interested, so feel free to have my name down for future parties.” But still, what happened to the other chapters I'd liked? I've always been on the more emotional side, and it's hard for me to hide my feelings, so I started tearing up. A.M. tried to console me, reminding me I still had chapters I liked on my list. I was positive it was my fashion faux pas and blabbing about my legacy that had gotten me cut (which could be possible, but I'll never know). I tearfully accepted all my invitations and headed back to my room.

Thankfully, the first party didn't start until 1pm, so I had plenty of time to pull myself back together. I called my sister sometime that morning and almost immediately started crying about how hard rush was and why didn't those other chapters like me? My poor sister started crying too and tried her best to say it was those chapters' loss and I had plenty to offer the chapters I had left and I would find the place that was perfect for me. Feeling somewhat better, I started getting ready.

Today was sunny and warm again. The rush book recommended “slightly more formal – summer dresses or skirts are appropriate” for this day and determined not to be fashion victim two days in a row, I opted for a short, sleeveless black satin dress with a floral print and black chunky sandals (of course!) The dress was vaguely Asian, but possibly a tad short for my tall frame. I didn't consider that, though and set off.

Germany: If I remember correctly, it was skit day, but I can't for the life of me remember what this chapter's skit was about. The parties were longer, and we were supposed to be getting into more serious conversation about what I was looking for in a sorority home and what Germany meant to the member I was talking to. I must have been a little dazed still, because the member was asking me some questions that were meant to delve deeper and I just wasn't getting it. I remember one question about something that was important to me and I just went off on word vomit about this stuffed Wishbone toy a friend in high school had given me for Christmas and how it just reminded me how fun and goofy my friends were. It's like I knew it was totally out there but couldn't stop myself and I could just see the look on her face like “this chick be crazy” because she was expecting some deep and meaningful answer and instead got this speech on a toy dog. I was pretty sure I had just killed any chances I'd had with Germany.

England: I don't remember the specific order, but it's most likely I went here after I'd been to Germany. The skit had a jungle theme and was well-done and funny (if a bit cheesy and dated). After the skit, the member I'd been paired with asked me how my day had been going and I broke down again. I tried to be upbeat, but I was just wrung out emotionally by then. I teared up and said how today had been more difficult than I expected and had been less than ideal. To her credit, she took it like a champ even though I could tell she didn't quite know how to handle me and must have sent some kind of distress signal because pretty soon another member came over (with some kleenex) and took over the conversation. She gave me a big hug (verboten, I know, but it was exactly what I needed at that moment) and pretty soon had me laughing. I felt tons better by the end of this party and really, really wanted to come back to England the next day.

Italy: I don't remember the skit at this party, either, and tried to be more open at this party, even though I had only been neutral on them earlier in the week. The members really did seem to get along well, but I still just wasn't feeling the love.

Finland: The skit here was about a beauty parlor and you could tell the members loved it. It was very funny and told a lot about the sisterhood. Afterward, a member I had talked to earlier in the week made a point to come by and say hi, as did the gal who was from my hometown. I managed to keep it together during this party and there were no tears (thank goodness!). I was liking Finland more each day.

Because I didn't have a full invitation list, I think I had to wait at the Memorial Union until all the parties were done. I remember sitting with S and K at dinner and comparing notes again. S had a full day, but I don't think K did. Exhausted, I don't think any of us did much of anything that night. Wake up for invitation lists the next day wasn't quite as early, which was nice.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.