View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 – 10 party day
10 parties of 30 minutes each

We had a 6am wake up call. This was way back before RFM, so our Rho Chis handed us a list of which chapters had invited us back and we told her which invitations we would accept. She took that information back to Panhel and we were given our schedule a few hours later. Our parties didn't start until 12:30 this day, so we at least had time to go back to sleep.

I mentioned that my roommate had also signed up to go through rush. She was a quieter, bookish person (we were both in the Honors Program and she was very nice and funny once she opened up but not one who would be able to present that side in 20 minutes). I got the feeling after the first day she thought maybe a sorority wasn't a good fit, and I believe she dropped out either on day 2 or 3 after seeing what invitations she had received. I was becoming better friends with two other girls on our floor (S and K) and we were comparing notes about the first day.

Anyway, back to me. My Rho Chi A.M. gave me my list and I was excited to see all 15 chapters had invited me back! I circled the 10 I would like to return to, and went back to bed.

I had accepted invitations back to:
Germany
England
Scotland
Greece
Belgium
Spain
Portugal
Norway
Finland
Netherlands

I was torn on whether to accept the invitation from Sweden or Norway, and asked my Rho Chi. She asked where I had felt more comfortable, and the awkward conversation at Sweden had really made an impression, so I ended up accepting the invitation from Norway. Again, in hindsight, I wish I would have given Sweden a second chance. But it is what it is.

The weather this day was cooler and drizzly. The What to Wear section in my book said “a nice outfit – feel free to wear shorts or pants, comfort is most important”. I chose a pair of dressy wide-leg tan pants, white button down and a floral scarf with cream mules. Yes, I honestly wore that. Looking back, it was WAY too dressy for that day, but it was an outfit I thought looked polished and confident in. I styled my Meg Ryan do, hoped the humidity wouldn't ruin it completely, and set off.

Germany: As I said, this was a stately, older home closer to campus than some other chapters. I remember them talking about their chapter room and what a big deal it was to finally get to see it after you were initiated. They had cold air sleeping. I still really liked Germany.

England: This was another chapter close to campus. They had in-room sleeping arrangements and half the house (the newer addition) was air conditioned. I have noted they had a semester long pledge program still and were involved in “lots of activities” I still really liked England.

Scotland: This house was on sorority circle and they talked about how fun it was to have other chapters next door (and fraternities across the road). They also mentioned their 6-week pledge program (this is when the shorter programs were just getting started). I was still fairly neutral on Scotland.

Greece: I was so excited to come back to this chapter! They were located on sorority circle as well, and had a gorgeous exterior. I remember taking a house tour and just talking with the gal like I'd known her forever, we bonded over the movie Grease. She asked why I had decided to go through rush and I think I answered something about how I was involved in high school and I wanted to stay involved and how I had an older sister who was in a chapter (yes, she asked which one and yes, I answered honestly) but how I wanted to make my own choice. I loved Greece.

Belgium: Another chapter on sorority circle. Their house wasn't as unique on the exterior as say Greece or Scotland, and I remember their living room was decked out to the nines in their sorority colors. I don't remember much else about this chapter this day. Neutral.

Spain: I do remember this chapter had an airline theme this day. Their house was just off sorority circle, so a little farther away, but close to quite a few fraternities (oh the priorities of an 18-year-old!). This chapter had various living arrangements based on the additions on to the house. I liked Spain, but didn't know if it was the right fit for me.

Portugal: I was excited to come back to this chapter as well. They were also located on sorority circle and had an impressive exterior. They had in-room sleeping arrangements and I evidently talked to someone about scholarships, because that's what I have written down. I remember talking to a member about how she had informaled at this chapter and felt at home right away. Another member also asked me why I decided to rush, and I answered basically the same as I did at Greece. I really liked Portugal.

Norway: I don't remember much about this chapter on this day. Neutral.

Finland: This was another chapter on sorority circle, and had a traditional structure. I'm pretty sure they had cold airs and I remember a member talking about a chapter tradition of each new initiate putting a flower petal in a bowl after their initiation and then showing me the bowl that had layers of flowers going back to their chapter founders, which I thought was really neat. I was starting to like Finland more.

Netherlands: this chapter was not on sorority circle, but it wasn't too far from campus. I don't have much written down though I do remember them having a fancy formal living room that I thought was pretty. I was still okay on this chapter.

Day 2 was done. I was tired and slightly damp, but I thought the day had gone well and I had really enjoyed the chapters I had visited. Day 3 was another 6am wake up to get our invitation lists.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.